Search This Blog

Sunday 13 June 2010

domestic goddess but oh so invisible

The in laws were coming up and to be honest I had visitor fatigue before they even got here. The husband has been preparing lists all week. The good weather food list, the bad weather food list, the drinks list... well you get my point I'm sure.

Daft thing is he doesn't do the food I do so not only is the list boring me and finding it condescending and irritating. So I do what us wives do best and totally ignore him.

I'm told that the guests will arrive about 2ish, ballet for the son is 2.15 for an hour but I've prepared a seafood platter, laden with fresh crab and prawns, some chilled prosecco and a pepper and tomato salsa id spent all morning making. I return from ballet and no guests. The next class starts at 4.15, when we leave for that there is still no guests, no phone calls and as far as I can see no manners!!

5.30 and I'm back with the daughter, the BBQ that was lit at 4.30 is now wasted and will need restocking, the fish platter is now overkill as all they need is one meal if they ever turn up.

6pm they finally turn up, it seems they decided to go to the hotel and have a swim and a nap as they thought we might be busy!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes waiting for them!!

The food went down a storm, the beer was flowing and they all went to watch the England game, I was just sitting down to eat and was left alone. My daughter came and sat with me and she said it made her feel a little bit sad that nobody waited for me and nobody stayed with me... me too.

The husband drank too much watching the match and got obnoxious and rude. I was on the receiving end and subjected to being humiliated in front of his family. It really hurt. I went so far out of my way to put on a spread that impressed them, I entertained everyone, I kept the drinks topped up, I took the little ones out the way and played with them so they could enjoy the football.

When everyone had gone I was tidying up with him, I turned around and he was gone. he had gone to bed. not word to me of appreciation, not even a comment of sorry I'm tired I have to go.

I really feel invisible today.

7 comments:

DCHY said...

What??? I would've kicked his butt for that! I am sorry that you had to suffer the indignity of all this. I hope that he will make it up to you...BIG TIME.

Anonymous said...

Dear Delicious Domestic Diva,

You are not invisible. You are wonderful and visible throughout that home, your work and your childrens' lives. Unless the family are complete morons they know it was you that did all the work for their comfort. I'll bet hubby knows deep down he is a clod and not worthy of you, which is why he tries to make you feel small. But don't!

-H

p.s. why do I picture you running around doing all this in fabulous heels? :)

heelsnstocking said...

lol you arent wrong i had 4 inch laboutins on x

nitebyrd said...

You're not invisible, I know the feeling,though. In-laws are just wretched. I'm sorry you had to deal with all this. (((HUGS)))

Playfully Yours said...

It is sad when spouse's and SO's take you for granted. What an ass to treat you crappy then sneak off to bed, coward.

tiarastantrums said...

grrr - sounds like my hubbies family - without the snark though - my husband sort of talks to me like that - but he gets it back in the end. I won't stand for that nonsense!! But his family treats me like a maid. - that is why I never let them come to my house (much)

Florida Dom said...

Sorry you were treated that way. You should speak up. Or if you don't like confrontation, email him. You deserve to be treated better than that after all the work you put into being such a good hostess.

FD